Mr Ashfaque Chowdhury Engineering / School of Engineering and Technology
Lecturer, School of Engineering and Technology
- Excellence in Research Awards, Central Queensland University Postgraduate Research Students Committee, Central Queensland University, Rockhampton
- Strategic Research Scholarship, Central Queensland University, Rockhampton.
- Postgraduate Research International Scholarship, Faculty of Sciences, Engineering and Health, Central Queensland University, Rockhampton.
- Centre for Sustainable Resource Processing (CSRP) Top up scholarship, Australian Resources Research Centre, Kensington, WA.
- Centre for Sustainable Resource Processing (CSRP) Conference Travel Award, Australian Resources Research Centre, Kensington, WA.
- Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Research Organization (CSIRO) Flagship Top-up Scholarship.
- Research Higher Degree Student Travel Award, Faculty of Sciences, Engineering and Health, Central Queensland University, Rockhampton
- Student Scholarship, SimBuild 2006, The Second Conference of the U.S. Affiliate of the International Building Performance Simulation Association held at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Boston, USA.
- Faculty Research Scholarship, Faculty of Sciences, Engineering and Health, Central Queensland University, Rockhampton
- CRC for Integrated Engineering Asset Management (CIEAM) Top up scholarship .
- Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship.
- Undergraduate Scholarship, Islamic University of Technology, Bangladesh.
- Recipient of first class honours degree in Mechanical Engineering.
In the beginning of his career, he worked as a Mechanical Engineer in a Steel Re-rolling Mills in Bangladesh. Then he moved to academia and worked as a full-time Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering at Islamic University of Technology (IUT), Bangladesh.
- Engineers Australia.
- The International Association of Engineers (IAENG).
- The Australasian Association for Engineering Education.
- The International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA), Australasia.
- The Institution of Engineers (IEB), Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh Society of Mechanical Engineers (BSME)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- Member, Elsevier Advisory Panel
- Reviewer, Applied Energy - Journal - Elsevier
- Reviewer, Applied Thermal Engineering - Journal - Elsevier
- Reviewer, Energy Efficiency - Journal - Springer
- Reviewer, Energy, Ecology and Environment - Journal - Springer
- Reviewer, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology (JESTEC),School of Engineering. Taylor’s University
- Reviewer, Higher Education Research and Development – An International Journal (Special Edition on Work Integrated Learning), Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group [ISSN 1175-2882].
- Reviewer, Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education (Special Edition on Work Integrated Learning) [ISSN 1175-2882].
- Reviewer, International Journal of Education and Development using Information and Communication Technology [ISSN: 1814-0556]
- Reviewer, WSEAS Transactions on Fluid Mechanics (Special Issue on Sustainable Energy and Environmental Fluid Mechanics) [ISSN: 1790-5087].
- Reviewer, ACEN-WACE Asia Pacific Conference 2008, Sydney Australia, 30 September - 3 October, 2008.
- Reviewer, The 16th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, Gold coast, Australia, December 3-7, 2007.
- Reviewer, The Fourth IASTED Asian Conference on Power and Energy Systems (AsiaPES 2008), Langkawi, Malaysia, April 2 - 4, 2008.
- Reviewer , Australasian Association for Engineering Education Conference 2009, Adelaide
- Reviewer , Australasian Association for Engineering Education Conference 2013, Perth
- Member, International Program Committee, The 5th WSEAS International Conference on Heat and Mass Transfer (HMT'08), Acapulco, Mexico, January 25-27, 2008.
- Member, International Scientific Committee, The 6th IASME/WSEAS International Conference on Heat Transfer, Thermal Engineering and Environment (HTE'08), Rodos, Greece, August 20-22, 2008.
- Member, International Scientific Committee, The 6th IASME/WSEAS International Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Aerodynamics (FMA'08), Rodos, Greece, August 20-22, 2008.
- Reviewer, Research Project Proposals (RPP), Cooperative Research Centres (CRC) Program
- Committee Member, Engineers Australia – Gladstone Regional Group (2014)
- Regional Member, Centre for Engineering Leadership and Management – Qld Division (2012-2013)
- Regional Member, Young Engineers Australia – Qld Division (2012-2013)
- Secretary, Engineers Australia – Rockhampton Regional Group (2010).
- Committee Member, Engineers Australia – Rockhampton Group (2008 – 2009).
- Student Member, Research Higher Degree Committee, CQUniversity (2009 - to date).
- Student Member, Postgraduate Research Advisory Panel (PRAP), CQUniversity (2007-2008).
- Postgraduate Research Student Representative, Research Committee of the Academic Board (ReCAB), CQUniversity (2006 – 2007).
- Peer Support – Early Career Academic Program 2008, Division of Teaching and Learning, CQUniversity (2008).
- Member, Postgraduate Research Student Committee, CQUniversity (2005 – 2006).
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability [ISSN 1832-2077]
- Advisory Board Member, Bioinfo Renewable & Sustainable Energy Journal [ISSN 2249-1708]
- Editorial Board Member, Book Entitled Developments in Engineering Education Standards: Advanced Curriculum Innovation. published by IGI Global.
- Co-editor, CREC 2009 – Central Region Engineering Conference Proceedings, CQUniversity, Rockhampton, Australia.
- Co-editor, GECon2008 - Graduating Engineering Conference Proceedings, CQUniversity, Rockhampton, Australia.
- Mohammad Joglul Kabir (Thesis Topic: Energy Recovery from Municipal Green Waste (MGW) using the Pyrolysis Process)
- Brett Robinson (Thesis Topic: The design of measurement systems for a cold flow retort)
- Simon Swindells (Thesis Topic: Computational Modelling of the Boiler Feed Water Pumping System)
- Darren Lee (Thesis Topic: Lubrication Practices for Jack-up Drilling Rig Fleet)
- Darryl Forday (Thesis Topic: Control Strategies of the Centrifugal Compressors)
- Nathan McCosker (Thesis Topic: Modelling of Turbulent Flow Phenomenon in Aerospace Application)
- Luke Miller (Thesis Topic: Improvement of Energy Efficiency and Thermal Performance of a Timber House)
- Leon Petrie (Thesis Topic: Redesign of a Reciprocating Compressor Cylinder Head)
- Hayden O’sing (Thesis Topic: Optimising Machining Techniques of Titanium Alloys)
- Tammy Eadie (Thesis Topic: A Life Cycle Assessment for Sustainable Domestic Water Systems)
- Travis Rose (Thesis Topic: Launder Assembly Process and Equipment Improvement)
Chowdhury, AA, Rasul, M, Khan, M 2016, 'Parametric Analysis of Thermal Comfort and Energy Efficiency in Building in Subtropical Climate', in M. Masud K. Khan & Nur M.S. Hassan, Thermofluid Modeling for Energy Efficiency Applications, Elsevier, Sydney, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-802397-6.00007-5
Chowdhury, AA, Jayasuriya, A & Eschenbach, EA 2015, 'Work in progress: model design to measure the efficacy of students learning preferences-does media matter?', in K Elleithy & T Sobh (eds.), New Trends in Networking, Computing, E-learning, Systems Sciences, and Engineering, Springer, Bridgeport, CT, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-06764-3_50
Chowdhury, A, Rasul, M & Khan, M 2010, 'Application of project based study in the learning process: a case study' in Elleithy, K, Sobh, T, Iskander, M, Kapila, V, Karim, MA & Mahmood, A (eds) Technical developments in networking, education and automation (EIAE 09), Springer, Netherlands, http://dx.doi/10.1007/978-90-481-9151-2
Kabir, MJ, Rasul, MG, Ashwath, N, Chowdhury, AA (2013), 'Modelling and experimental studies of municipal green waste pyrolysis', Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Sustainable Energy technologies, Faculty of Construction and Environment & Research Institute for Sutainable Urban Development, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
Kabir, MJ, Rasul, M, Ashwath, N & Chowdhury, AA 2013, 'Optimisation of Biofuel Production from Municipal Green Waste (MGW) Pyrolysis using ASPEN plus Simulation Model', in H Yang & SB Riffat (eds.), SET 2013: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies, 26-29 August 2013, Hong Kong, China, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
Chowdhury, AA, Jayasuriya, A, Eschenbach, EA (2013), 'Work in Progress: Do Students Learn Better with Text or Video �� or Does Media Matter?', Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Education, Instructional Technology, Assessment, and E-learning.
Kabir, M, Rasul, M, Ashwath, N & Chowdhury, AA 2012, 'A review on green wastes pyrolysis for energy recovery', in N. Altawell, K. Volkov, C. Matos & P.F. de Arroyabe (eds), Recent Researches in Environmental and Geological Sciences, WSEAS Press, Greece, http://www.wseas.us/e-library/conferences/2012/Kos/WEGECM/WEGECM-13.pdf
Kabir, MJ, Rasul, MG, Ashwath, N & Chowdhury, AA, 2012, 'Environmental Impacts of Green Wastes to Energy Conversion through Pyrolysis Process: An Overview', paper presented at 5th BSME International Conference on Thermal Engineering, 21��23 December, 2012, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Chowdhury, A, Rasul, M & Khan, M 2010, 'Thermodynamic processes and characterisation of dead burned Magnesia: a review', in MA. Rosen, R Perryman, S Dodds, F Muzi, W Yuji, Z Polkowska, M Jelenska & M Sobik (eds), Recent advances in energy and environment : Proceedings of the 5th IASME / WSEAS International Conference on energy & enviroment (EE '10), WSEAS Press, Cambridge, UK, http://www.wseas.us/e-library/conferences/2010/Cambridge/EE/EE-57.pdf
Sturgeon, C, Rasul, M & Chowdhury, A 2010, 'Reduction of Carbon Dioxide emissions by mineral carbonation', iin MA. Rosen, R Perryman, S Dodds, F Muzi, W Yuji, Z Polkowska, M Jelenska & M Sobik (eds), Recent advances in energy and environment : Proceedings of the 5th IASME / WSEAS International Conference on energy & enviroment (EE '10), WSEAS Press, Cambridge, UK, http://www.wseas.us/e-library/conferences/2010/Cambridge/EE/EE-58.pdf
Chowdhury, A, Rasul, M & Khan, M 2010, 'Analysis of building systems performance through integrated computation fluid dynamics technique' in A.K.M. Sadrul Islam (ed) Proceedings of the 13th Asian Congress of Fluid Mechanics, 17-21 December 2010, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Bangladesh Society of Mechanical Engineers, Dhaka.
Chowdhury, A, Rasul, M, Khan, M & Alam, F 2010, 'Performance analysis of a novel building material to achieve superior thermal comfort and energy efficiency in arid climate' in Akash, Bilal A and Abdo, Ahmad M. Abu Abdo (eds.) Proceedings of the International Engineering Conference on Hot Arid Regions, March 1-2, 2010, King Faisal University, Faculty of Engineering, Al-Ahsa, KSA, pp. 121-126.
Chowdhury, A, Rasul, M & Khan, M 2009, 'Integration of project based investigation into an undergraduate fluid mechanics course for research and teaching excellence' in C Kestell, S Grainger & J Cheung (eds.) Proceedings of the 20th Annual Conference for the Australasian Association for Engineering Education: Engineering the Curriculum, 6th-9th December 2009, Adelaide, Australia, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, http://aaee.com.au/conferences/AAEE2009/PDF/AUTHOR/AE090179.PDF
Chowdhury , A & Mazid, M 2009, "Computer Integrated Manufacturing Education to Mechanical Engineering Students: Teaching, Research and Practice", 2009 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology, 10th - 13th February 2009, Gippsland, Australia. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICIT.2009.4939736 (viewed 20/08/09)
Chowdhury, A & Rasul, M 2009, 'Sustainable solution to the green waste management by thermo-chemical converison processes' paper presented to the Engineering Congress on Alternative Energy Applications, Kuwait, 2-6 November 2009.
Chowdhury, A, Rasul, M & Khan, M 2009, 'Eco-Roof System for Sustainable Communities' in M Rasul, A Chowdhury (eds.) Central Region Engineering Conference 2009, Rockhampton, Qld, 14-15 August 2009.
Breffit, S Rasul, M & Chowdhury,A A 2008, "Comparison of the performance and emissions of a petrol engine using a range of unleaded fuels", Proceedings of the 4th BSME-ASME Internal National Conference on Thermal Engineering, Bangladesh Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp.512-519.
Chowdhury, AA, Rasul, MG & Khan, MMK 2007, 'Modelling and Simulation of the Effects of Passive Cooling Technologies on Energy Savings for Building Systems in Subtropical Climate', paper presented at the 5th IASME/WSEAS International Conference on Heat Transfer, Thermal Engineering and Environment, Athens, Greece, 25-27 August, 2007, pp.73-78.
Chowdhury, AA, Rasul, MG and Khan MMK 2007, 'Modelling and simulation of building energy consumption: a case study on an institutional building in Central Queensland, Australia', Proceedings of 10th International Building Performance Simulation Association International Conference, 3-6 September 2007, Beijing, China, pp.1916-1923.
Chowdhury, A A, Rasul, M G & Khan, M M K 2007, 'Simulation of building thermal performance in an institutional building in subtropical climate', paper presented at the HEFAT 2007: 5th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Suncity, South Africa, 1-4 July, 2007.
Chowdhury, AA, Rasul, MG & Khan, MMK 2006, 'Towards energy efficient building assets: a review on sub-tropical climate', Fifteenth Symposium on Improving Building Systems in Hot and Humid Climates, Orlando, Florida, July 24-26, 2006.
Chowdhury, AA, Rasul, MG & Khan, MMK 2006, 'Passive cooling control strategies for energy efficiency in a subtropical climate air conditioned building', Proceedings of the 3rd BSME-ASME International Conference on Thermal Engineering Dhaka, Bangladesh, 20th-22nd December, 2006.
Chowdhury, AA, Rasul, MG & Khan, MMK 2006, 'Low energy cooling technologies for sub-tropical/warm humid climate building systems', SimBuild 2006: Second National IBPSA-USA Conference Cambridge, MA, August 2-4, 2006.
Kabir, MJ, Chowdhury, AA & Rasul, MG 2015, 'Pyrolysis of municipal green waste: a modelling, simulation and experimental analysis', Energies, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 7522-7541, http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en8087522
Chowdhury, AA & Rasul, MG 2014, 'Integration of simulation-based energy management techniques in undergraduate engineering curriculum to enhance students' learning', International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 85-96, http://dx.doi.org/10.7227/IJMEE.0001
Jahirul, MI, Rasul, MG, Chowdhury, AA & Ashwath, N 2012, 'Biofuels Production through Biomass Pyrolysis : a technological review', Energies, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 4952-5001, http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en5124952
Chowdhury, A, Rasul, M & Khan, M 2009, 'Modelling and analysis of air-cooled reciprocating chiller and demand energy savings using passive cooling', Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 8-9, pp.1825-1830, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2008.09.001
Chowdhury, A, Rasul, M & Khan, M 2009, 'An analysis of the indoor air quality and mould growth in a multi-zone building', Water Air Soil Pollution: Focus, vol. 9, no. 5-6, pp. 517-527. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11267-009-9244-8
Chowdhury, AA & Chowdhury, MNA 2008, 'Design of a computer vision integrated solid handling system to teach manufacturing automation to third year undergraduate students', Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 1139-1147.http://www.insinet.net/ajbas_oct-dec_2008.html
Chowdhury, A Rasul, M & Khan, M 2008, "Energy efficient cooling technologies for achieving sustainability in buildings in subtropical climate", The International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, vol.4, no.5, pp.69-78.
Chowdhury, A Rasul, M & Khan, M 2008, "Thermal-comfort analysis and simulation for various low-energy cooling-technologies applied to an office building in a subtropical climate", Applied Energy, vol.80, no.6, pp.449-462.
Chowdhury, A Rasul, M & Khan, M 2007, "Numerical Simulation of Building Performance under Different Low Energy Cooling Technologies", International Journal of Energy and Environment, vol.1, no.1, pp.28-36. http://www.naun.org/journals/energyenvironment/ee-06.pdf (viewed 13/5/2008)